Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trying to stay cool






Well, the kids made it through their first week of school with no problems. Caleb is not too keen on going to school every morning, however. He keeps asking me why he has to go every day. Isabelle, on the other hand, tells me she wants to go to school on the days she stays home. We are still adjusting, and it may take a while before this schedule feels normal. Caleb was excited that he gets to stay home on Saturday and Sunday. I can tell he is enjoying school, though, and one day this week was so excited to tell us that he was the tallest kid in his class! (I guess they measured all the kids during class). He is also beginning to make some new friends, so that is nice to see.

Barrett is out of town for training this week, and I had been thinking about things to do with the kids this weekend. I decided to take them to the base pool for a swim this morning, so we all got our swim suits on and drove over. Once we got there, we discovered that the pool was closed (I have no idea why). Of course, the kids were disappointed, but Caleb suggested that we go to the splash pad at the Niceville Park. So, we drove out that way, only to discover that they had closed down their splash pad for the season already! What?!?! I cannot understand the reasoning behind that since September is just about as hot as August in Florida!

So, we ended up just playing on the playground and in the one little water fountain they had going on in the park. And let me tell you, it was a hot day! The kids had fun, though, so it was worth it.

It looks like we will be keeping our eyes on Hurricane Ike in the next few days. If it does come toward us, the base will call a mandatory evacuation and I will have to leave with the kids. Some friends of ours who live in Alabama have graciously offered their home to us, so if we have to evacuate, I will probably go there with the kids to avoid the coastal areas.

0 comments: